UK Parliament to debate endometriosis & work - Weds 9 February
This week on Wednesday 9 February from 14.30 to 16.00, there will be a Westminster Hall debate on "Supporting people with endometriosis in the workplace". This debate was secured by Alec Shelbrooke MP, a member of the APPG on Endometriosis.
Watch the debate live online here.
- Having to take sick leave when symptoms are severe
- Needing frequent access to the toilet due to bowel or bladder related symptoms
- Requiring time off work for medical appointments, surgery and recovery from surgery
- Needing to ask their employer for reasonable adjustments at work such as reduced hours, working from home and re-assignment of duties
- Being forced to give up work and claim welfare benefits NB: endometriosis when presenting as a chronic and debilitating condition meets the definition of a disability under the 2010 Equality Act
There are however many easy steps that employers can take to support employees with endometriosis in the workplace. Endometriosis UK has guidance for employers on law and best practice as well as an Endometriosis Friendly Employers scheme.
If you have endometriosis and would like to find out more about your rights at work, please consult our employee rights guide. We also have advice and tips on managing your endometriosis at work.